The Edible Schoolyard NOLA
A FirstLine Signature Program
The Edible Schoolyard NOLA (ESY NOLA) is a FirstLine signature program that changes the way kids eat, learn and live in New Orleans. ESY NOLA’s goal is to improve the long-term well-being of our students, families and school community.
Below is a list of just some of the wonderful programming ESYNOLA provides in all five of our schools. For more information on ESYNOLA, visit their web site at www.esynola.org.
- Kindergarten Food ABCs
- Gardening and cooking classes
- Seasonal citrus, strawberry and watermelon tastings
- Family Food Nights focusing on developing nutritious family eating habits and enjoying cooking together
- 7th Grade Iron Chef competition at Green Charter
- Green’s Flagship Teaching Kitchen and 1/3 acre organic garden and outdoor classroom
- LHA’s Dreamkeeper Garden
- Landscaping and edible gardens at Dibert, Ashe and Clark Prep
- Ashe’s new campus with a 3 acre garden, garden science classroom and a teaching kitchen!
- 3rd grade Market to Table Experience
- Budding Entrepreneur’s afterschool gardening, cooking and business club
- Culinary Club at Clark Prep High School
One Saturday I went over to the school for Open Garden Day, and it was an amazing assemblage of neighbors, school staff, students and their families and volunteers weeding and mulching. Two different soccer games were happening on the field and teenagers were playing basketball on the court. Neighbors were sitting on their porches taking it all in. This is what a school that really is a part of the neighborhood can be.
- Karin Giger